Monday, July 7, 2008

Summer school started today and reminded me how much...

I love teaching.

I love making myself get up early, picking out a snappy outfit and accessories, sipping on my morning coffee, driving through downtown Redlands over the cobblestone streets, and walking the school halls before the silence is broken by chaos.

I love the early morning smell of the halls (by afternoon, the smell has taken a decided turn for the worst), opening my classroom door to the sight of the white board crammed with yesterday’s grammar lesson, and the student who drops by before class just to chat.

I love making eye contact with my students as they walk through the door, to remind them that they are the highlight of my day—the reason I teach.

I love bantering with the witty boys and crouching beside the shy girl’s desk to hear her repeat her soft-spoken question.

I love giving high-fives to Steve and huge hugs to the twins. I love it when my students tease me about my gallon of drinking water or my hideous drawings.

I love interrupting an English lesson for a heart-to-heart talk about divorce or gossip or relationships, or to boast in who God is and show Him off to kids who need Him desperately.

I love it when old students come back to visit, try to make the transition from “Miss Langley” to “Colleen,” or drive me in their car to get coffee and catch up.

I love using my passion for drama and singing and writing and speaking to communicate what can easily be very dry and lifeless language concepts to teenagers. I love it when a student grasps one of these concepts and uses it in everyday life.

Teaching was the farthest thing from my mind when I graduated from college. But a sovereign God changed my course and then graciously granted me unexpected pleasures in my work. (Yes, it’s tough as nails sometimes, but my frustrations and shortcomings are far outweighed by the joys and the knowledge that this is what I’m supposed to be doing!)

And now back to lesson planning for tomorrow…